Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Collection of Cookbooks

One of my favorite things to do when I was young was to bake. I got my first Easy-Bake when I was 9. At that point it was official, I had been bitten by the baking bug. I would page through my mothers 1970's faded orange copy of The Betty Crocker Cookbook amazed at all of the imaginative things you could do with food. There were instructions on fondue, iced sugar cookies, tinted frostings, cakes in the shape of Christmas trees, Easter eggs, hearts and even a castle. I found fudge, divinity, stained glass cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and more. I absolutely could not wait to try my hand at the beautiful masterpieces pictured on the pages.

 








As I grew, I started to appreciate this faded orange book more and more. I found recipes to make meatloaf, pork chops, scalloped potatoes and my own spaghetti sauce. Additionally, there were helpful tips to guide you from purchase to presentation. For my first marriage, I was given my own copy of Betty's New Cookbook. It was a fantastic gift, lovingly signed by my great aunt Elsie. Aunt Elsie is no longer with us, but every time I use this book, I think of her. Not only is it a wonderful memory, the knowledge contained within helped to provide valuable insight, allowing me to refine my culinary abilities. I have since added many other cookbooks to my collection over the years. Many were gifts from special people in my life, making them all the more meaningful. Some are old, spattered with the drips and drizzles from the creations conceived within their pages. A few are new, in pristine condition, and have even been autographed by the author. It doesn't matter to me though, if they are old or new, signed by the author or not, they are all my treasure. That being said however, Jamie Deen you are next on my autograph list because I can not have a complete collection of autographed Deen family cookbooks without you  :-)
 

One of the things that endears these books to me, is that each one is a snapshot of domestic life during the time frame that it was printed. The 1965 Edition of Betty Crockers New Boys and Girls Cookbook suggests that you "Choose a time to suit your mother, so you won't be in her way"  and to "always leave mother's kitchen spotlessly clean, so she will be happy to let you use it again". Very sage advice, even in today's society. We are also instructed to make sure to get father's permission before making smores out on the grill. A special side note is included, indicating safety first,  we should always allow father to light the grill. Was mom not allowed to hold the matches either? Although I love the vintage nature of these books,  I am grateful that we have evolved beyond these typical gender stereotypes. I will most certainly be teaching my young son, to know his way around a kitchen. 

Pictured above right, is my prized, first edition 1955 Better Homes and Gardens Jr Cookbook.  

Lately, you may find me reading this book by a fellow blogger Bakerella. Cake pops are the new craze, popping up in classrooms and bakeries around the country. I am planning a tutorial for making my own version of these cute, tasty treats just in time for the holiday baking season :-)

That's all I have for today folks. Thank you all for your continued readership. I am blessed and astounded by your response to my little corner of bloggland. 500 page views in the past week and counting! You all rock!















No comments:

Post a Comment