Saturday, November 5, 2011

Getting into the Spirit


       When I was young I was mesmerized by my mom & aunties Christmas trees. They have inspired my love of decorating and they really dress the best trees ya’ll. They have erected glorious examples of the holiday spirit at its best. There have been trees that spin and play music covered in Hallmarks finest, trees sprayed with white flocking with twinkly lights and beautiful silver and white glass bulbs, teddy bear trees, feather trees, old fashion 50’s trees, santa trees, patriotic trees and skinny trees with a country touch. I think there was even a Longaberger tree too at one point, if I am not mistaken. I love their imagination when it comes to decorating for the holidays. We always had the best time helping them decorate and undecorated the trees and I am excited to carry on these traditions with my own family.
         
Today we decided to take a country drive and do just that.







We went to Silver Bells in Dundee MI. 
Did you spot the left over Jack's in the window?

I love little historic towns! The shops are so unique and very quaint. There is getting to be less and less small town America and I think it is so important to support the small businesses that are left. In time like these some are fading fast and could really use our support.

Historic Dundee is a beautiful community. I love these “dam” waterfalls all over the Rasin River. There are a few by our house too. I love the sound of the rushing water. It reminds me of the ocean.



Silver Bells is an old Victorian style house with a small barn and it is nothing but Christmas. 


I was so proud of Tyler for keeping his hands to himself. This place was full of glass and I was afraid it was going to be like letting a bull loose in a china shop, but he was so well behaved. I was shocked to be honest and upon leaving we promptly rewarded his good behavior with his favorite lunch, cheeseburgers.  



I’ll let the pictures explain for themselves how cool this place is. They are reasonably priced too. Upon entering you’re greeted by this friendly little guy guarding Santa’s mail.

Here are his buddies, right on the other side of the door. 

They welcome you in and sit atop a beautiful oak fireplace under a table loaded with samples of delicious holiday treats. My diet and the size of the line did not allow me to get a closer shot. It’s hard to exercise self-control here and I did not want to start a downward slide my waist or wallet could not recover from.  

 This first tree is in the room right off the entryway. The tree is hung upside down from the ceiling and decorated in black and silver. Its gorgeous and the pictures don’t really do it justice.

I love the masks!


And the sparkles!


This is such a sweet tree. The colors are so vibrant.


I really like how they did not stick with tradition for the tops of the tree. They are whimsical and sparkly! Just the way I like it!


 At only $6.95 this cupcake is cute and cheap!

 

I love the idea of personalizing your Christmas tree. 

Every year I take my ornaments out, it’s like a little trip back in time to the places and times they have come from. There are baby’s first Christmas’s, Just Married, first home and scores of others that represent our lives, travels and personalities. On our tree you will find Elmo and Homer, Winnie the Pooh, Barbie’s shoe tree, Irish Angels, Czech Santas and Vintage Elves. In addition to sand dollars from Tybee and a cherished inherited collection of Baldwin Brass. The tree has become for us, a collection of our heritage and a sort of time line of our lives. This is the treasure that came home today. 




Here we have the makings of a very patriotic tree. 


The military nutcrackers are awesome. So are these cute bears!

This woodland tree would look fabulous in a modern neutral living room. 



These nutcrackers always remind me of my brother. My mom started him a collection when he was young. Hope his future wife likes Christmas too tee-hee.


A snowman family

A sparkly sandcastle

Chinese take-out and a fortune cookie

Cuban Cigar anyone?


Evles on a shelf, a very cute story and the makings of a happy holiday tradition.

These two guard the parking lot. Who would do wrong with the big guy watching?      


  
I recently came across an idea for I tree I can’t wait to give a try. It’s called a memory tree. The tree is decorated with black and white photos attached to cardstock and hung with ribbon. The photos are from the family collection and represent lost loved ones, births, weddings and precious milestones. I am thinking of doing this on a small table top skinny tree. I’ll keep you posted about the results.

I hope these photos help to get you in the holiday spirit! I know I am like a kid in a candy store I just can’t wait to get that tree out of storage and dress her up in some lights, sparkles, and glittery baubles!
Xoxo
The Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment