Friday, December 9, 2011

Holiday Cocktails Round 1


In a few short weeks the holiday season will be in full swing. Many of us will be celebrating with family, friends and coworkers. You might even be hosting a gathering yourself. If you are planning on serving drinks, I have a few suggested recipes that you may be interested in. Before I share them with you, I just wanted to say if ya'll are planning to drink please do so responsibly. Call a ride if you get too smashed. :-) That is all, now on to the booze!

When I thought about doing a post on holiday cocktails, I decided to go see what the domestic diva herself had to say on the subject. As much as I find Martha's personality a bit pretentious at times, she really is the authority on the subject of homemaking. 

Do you know how Martha's domestic career began? She used to babysit for the New York Yankee's players Micky Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Gil Mc Donald. The story goes that the Mantles had four boys under the age of 10. They were a lively bunch and Mrs. Mantle was quite overwhelmed. Martha who was just about 20, was hired to plan birthday parties and babysit the rowdy quartet. They behaved so well for her, beginning her rise to domestic mogul. Interesting huh :-) Anywho, here is what Martha has to say on the subject.

 

Martha's Holiday Citrus Punch:
  • 4 cups orange juice
  • 2 cups chilled club soda
  • 2 cups bottled pear nectar
  • 1 cup light rum (if desired)
  • Orange slices (for garnish)

 (Source1)

Directions

  1. Set a fine-mesh sieve over a large pitcher or punch bowl; pour 2 cups bottled pear nectar and 4 cups orange juice (from blood oranges or regular juice oranges) through sieve into pitcher. Before serving, stir in 2 cups chilled club soda and, if desired, 1 cup light rum. Pour into glasses over ice; garnish with orange slices.                                                
                                                                                   
Don't be put off that the third ingredient is pear nectar.  I know some of you are like what the heck is that? I assure you that it is a readily available ingredient in your local grocery store. It will be located in the ethnic foods section with products featured from Mexico. It costs about a dollar a can and  the packaging looks like this ------------------------->

Also when it says to use the orange juice from blood oranges, it is just a type of orange, not bleeding fruit. It is named so, because the fruit is a crimson color. It produces a darker reddish color juice that is distinct and sweet. It is sometimes referred to as an Italian orange because they are primarily the only variety that is grown in Italy.  Your local fruit market is an excellent source to find these oranges. 


Whipped Sunset

Pictured at right is a take on a tequila sunrise, called a Whipped Sunset.  This recipe came from the Smirnoff website, and it is a simple blend of sweet and sour flavor. Oh boy does it go down easy! I just love the layered look, all festive and pretty :-)  I had been seeing the advertisements for Smirinoff's new Whipped Vodka all over the place. I was curious to see how their new line of dessert vodka tasted. There is a Toasted Marshmallow flavor as well. I decided that since this week I completed another semester towards my degree with excellent marks, I would reward myself with a hard earned cocktail. It is fantastic my friends! To make this drink you will need:
  • -1 1/2 oz Smirinoff Whipped Cream Vodka
  • -2 oz. sour mix
  • -2oz pineapple juice
  • -1/2 oz grenadine
  • -Whipped Cream for garnish

Mix all ingredients except grenadine in a shaker with ice and pour into glass. Pour in grenadine and garnish with whip cream if desired.


While looking for a good Jello Shot recipe, I came across this stupendous Jello shot website. She has inspired me to experiment with some fun Jello shots for New Years Eve. This lady is talented in the medium of Jello! I love this idea and couldn't wait to try them at home. Here are the molds ready for Jello. Below, we have the lemon drops all ready to go. In fair disclosure, these just have lemon jello in them. I wanted to practice with the lemons and the Jello first in case they didn't turn out. I didn't want to waste the alcohol. Plus the Whipped Sunrise is enough for me tonight. I aint as young as I once was ;-)  The Jello is a little looser than I would like, but I rushed to cut it so I could take pics. This is one of those recipes you definitely have to let set up over night in the fridge.



Or, if you want a bigger shot, you can leave them whole.




 This last recipe uses the Smirnoff Whipped vodka too. Its a Creamsicle Jello Shot. It sounds all kinds of good! I will be taste testing this one next weekend :-)
Creamsicle Shooter

Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water to 4 3 oz packages Orange Jello mix. Stir until dissolved then add 3/4 cup chilled Smirnoff Whipped vodka and 1/4 cup cold water. Mix well,  pour into jello shot containers, cover with lids and refrigerate until firm approx 4 hours. I buy my containers @ Gordon Food Service in the food service container section. They look like little plastic dressing cups.

Thats all she wrote for tonight folks, if you decide to take part in this festive holiday debauchery, make sure you have a designated driver and drink responsibly!  That is all, enjoy your party :-)



Holiday Cocktails Round 1 Post Sources 
1. http://www.marthastewart.com/313320/holiday-citrus-punch 
2. Leavy, Jane. "The Last Boy Mickey Mantle and the end of America's Childhood, 2010
3. http://www.bakersroyale.com/fruit/lemon-drop-jell-o-shots/

No comments:

Post a Comment